Nova Scotia Hunting Forum banner

Yuck

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  DH11 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
See less See more
#7 ·
Shot quite few like that yrs back outta Lingan Bay , mostly Mallards , only seen it once in Black Duck , little research shows it also is significant if they eat near sewage outcrops , seems parasite is more prevelant in heavier polutted waters .

One the reasons I stopped hunting that area . Only other case I seen personally was a Black Duck in Waddens Cove area, since hunting Framboise / Forchu area never had a issue of running into this where some say they get the occasional one down that way.

Breasting them out is best detection method , altho we do eat a stuffed duck hear and there I've always watched for this very thing when cleaning them . Not a nice surprise to find that's for sure but I never take the risk of consuming one , plus it's not good to feed to animals as Joe's article states . Just one the risks we take harvesting game, it's like Snow Shoe Hare that have Cysts inside thief bodies when cleaning them, that meat goes straight to the grinder for trapping baits .

#8 ·
We shot a rabbit one time that was loaded with them! (I'm sure different types - but just as gross!)

They were not in the meat though, the guts. All around (and I assume in) the organs was loaded with what looked like rice at first glance. It's the only one I've ever seen like that.

The meat looked fine - needless to say we didn't try it. :)

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Shot quite few like that yrs back outta Lingan Bay , mostly Mallards , only seen it once in Black Duck , little research shows it also is significant if they eat near sewage outcrops , seems parasite is more prevelant in heavier polutted waters .

One the reasons I stopped hunting that area . Only other case I seen personally was a Black Duck in Waddens Cove area, since hunting Framboise / Forchu area never had a issue of running into this where some say they get the occasional one down that way.

Breasting them out is best detection method , altho we do eat a stuffed duck hear and there I've always watched for this very thing when cleaning them . Not a nice surprise to find that's for sure but I never take the risk of consuming one , plus it's not good to feed to animals as Joe's article states . Just one the risks we take harvesting game, it's like Snow Shoe Hare that have Cysts inside thief bodies when cleaning them, that meat goes straight to the grinder for trapping baits .
I have not hunted that area since the beach became a park in 1992 and mallards were very rare there in those years so never seen it. Rabbits yes I have seen a fair amount of that and won't eat them either. In those years to get mallards we had to hunt causeway drive

I have my old muddy hole buds puking however since both pluck their ducks and may be eating it for years

They are also freaking since that land above muddy hole just sold for the cool sum of over 300K so they figure their hunting days there are done

Alright where are the moose pics??
smile.png

Cheers

#10 ·
I have not hunted that area since the beach became a park in 1992 and mallards were very rare there in those years so never seen it. Rabbits yes I have seen a fair amount of that and won't eat them either. In those years to get mallards we had to hunt causeway drive
I have my old muddy hole buds puking however since both pluck their ducks and may be eating it for years
They are also freaking since that land above muddy hole just sold for the cool sum of over 300K so they figure their hunting days there are done
Alright where are the moose pics??:)
Cheers
Just have been busy between moose and bear , now trying get traps out , took nice Boar in new brunswick just over 370lb with 18 3/4 skull .
I get chance on wife's computer I'll post up some .

Just did 18k return hike into highlands in North River area , ran into two bears in there yesterday , wife was frazzled but they kept distance .

Anyways take care guys I'll be around maybe at times

#11 ·
Just have been busy between moose and bear , now trying get traps out , took nice Boar in new brunswick just over 370lb with 18 3/4 skull .
I get chance on wife's computer I'll post up some .

Just did 18k return hike into highlands in North River area , ran into two bears in there yesterday , wife was frazzled but they kept distance .

Anyways take care guys I'll be around maybe at times
Congrats on the bear. That is a big one for sure IMO

Looking forward to seeing the pics

take care

#13 ·
Had a teal on the opener that had a few of those in it when I skinned the breasts back. Straight by to the dumpster that thing went. Lol. Gross. And that was only a few spots. Can’t imagine seeing THAT!! First time I’ve had one with them. Had lots with duck lice though since it’s so warm when our season opens. Those things give me the heeby jeebys. Lol. Crawling in and out of the feathers and then all over your hands. Ahhhhh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.